Openings AvailableJoin Our Team
ASSISTANT RESEARCH FELLOW/ RESEARCH ASSISTANT
The expansion of the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College (GAFCSC) and in recognition of the College hosting the establishment of the National College of Defense Studies (War College), there is a need to employ Assistant Research Fellows also known as Research Assistants.
Research Assistants are Academic positions hired to assist Faculty in carrying out a particular research agenda. The title/pay level is determined based on current academic status.
Need and Purpose of a Research Assistant
To support research projects, conducting research, analysing results, and generating original ideas. Conduct tutorials (teaching assistant) and assist in the supervision of student research projects, development of student research skills and assessment of student knowledge in accordance with the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College’s (GAFCSC) strategy, policy and procedures.
As a Research Assistant, the main goal of the position is to make sure that all of the information in research databases are up-to-date and accurate. The successful applicant for this position will manage the collection, maintenance, and analysis of research data for administrative database studies. Working under the supervision of the principal Faculty/Investigator, the Research Assistant will conduct and interpret statistical analyses, prepare presentations and manuscripts, conduct tutorials (teaching assistant), and coordinate study activities.
- A Research Masters Degree from a recognized university in a related field of study to the programmes on offer, with at least a year’s post-qualification experience.
- Excellent administration skills.
- Possess sufficient knowledge in the discipline and of research methodology and methods, and techniques to work within established research programmes.
- Evidence of research activity and published research is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate material of a specialist or highly technical nature.
- Ability to multi-task (excellent time management skills) – able to manage research and administrative activities and to balance competing pressures of research, teaching and administrative demands and deadlines.
- Good inter-personal skills with the ability to liaise with colleges and students.
- Able to build contacts and participate in internal and external networks for the exchange of information and collaboration.
- Able to identify potential sources of funding.
- Academic and/or work experience related to the field of research, as defined by the faculty and/or lead researcher.
- Experience with specialized software or datasets, as required by the faculty.
- Satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the faculty.
While a research assistant is expected to contribute in many ways to the research project, typical responsibilities include the following:
- Collect and analyze data.
- Prepare materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations.
- Prepare research interview questions.
- Recruit and/or interview participants/ subjects.
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of participants/subjects, as necessary.
- Summarize interviews.
- Provide ready access to all experimental data for the faculty researcher and/or supervisor.
- Request or acquire equipment or supplies necessary for a project.
- Manage and respond to research/project related corresponds/emails.
- Prepare, maintain, and update website materials.
- Attend research/project meetings.
- Attend discipline/subject area seminars and other meetings as necessary.
- Summarize research/project results.
- Prepare other articles, reports, and presentations including tutorials.
- Monitor the research/project budget.
- Undertake research and publish at least one article per year.
The job description indicates the expectations of staff at this level. With reasonable notice and support, the GAFCSC can expect and require a member of staff at this level to undertake any of the activities detailed above. You will be expected to perform at this level within a reasonable period following promotion. Job descriptions are not exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake other duties of similar level and responsibility.
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by individual faculty/researchers. Quarterly work requirements and schedules must be discussed with the Faculty/Supervisor to ensure that the work priorities can be accomplished for the quarter/duration. Concerns about any additional responsibilities should be discussed first with the Faculty/Supervisor (Faculty researcher), and then the Dean of Academic Division or the Department Head.
This position is subject to policies stated and reviewed by the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College (GAFCSC) via the Academic Division.
Mode of Application
All applications with relevant documents including a cover letter specifying clearly the position being applied for should be sent by post/electronically to:
Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College (GAFCSC)
Teshie, Accra, Ghana.
The deadline for submission of application is Monday 22nd May, 2023 at 1700hrs. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and invited for an interview.
The Academic Division of the Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College is calling for applications for employment to the position of Assistant Registrar.
Main Function – The Assistant Registrar shall oversee the management of innovative and progressive academic programs and systems that support students in their academic pursuits, while enhancing student life and the GAFCSC academic community.
This application is open to all persons possessing the following specifications:
- Be a resident Ghanaian;
- Not more than 40 years of age;
- A Masters’ Degree from a recognized institution, preferably in the field of Business Administration;
- At least 4 years progressive post-qualification experience in a senior administrative role in higher education;
- Strong leadership qualities and a thorough understanding of the tertiary system in Ghana;
- Ability to work with all staff to develop positive customer-oriented services to students and faculty;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Sound knowledge and use of MS Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Required Documents – Applicants are to submit the following documents to the Office of the Registrar:
- Application Letter
- 1 Certified Copy of Master’s Degree Certificate
- 1 Certified Copy of Bachelor’s Degree Certificate
- 1 Original Transcript from the awarding institution
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Motivation (Reason for applying for this position)
- 1 Copy of Birth Certificate
NB: Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
All documents should be submitted directly to:
Ghana Armed Forces Command and
Staff College (GAFCSC)
Otu Barracks, Teshie, Accra
Deadline for Submission of Applications is Friday 11th February, 2022.